Creating a catio

Extending the current range of the cats area, and activities, while keeping them safe is always at the back of my mind.  In the hot summer months, the cat enclosure became a bit of an issue.  Because my fencing only included the back yard, I couldn't open the ranch-slider that is my front door, and let the breeze through the whole house. So this summer I am changing that; I'm enclosing the front verandah.

I only usually have a 'sort-of' plan, when I begin.  Enclosing the main area of the verandah is pretty simple, and there were quite a few options to do it. But the actual entrance would require a proper door, or gate to let people in, and out in a reasonably normal fashion.

I'm not a builder. I think like most DIY-ers the more you have a go, the better you get at it.  So, I now pretty much just get started, and see how things develop.  I've also decided not to be a total wimp, and face the potential ridicule of the local DIY stores.  As it turns out, most modern men are in exactly the same position as I am, and some are even more feeble in their building knowledge.  I've discovered which of the 2 local stores is most female-friendly in various depts, and no longer worry about asking the most basic of question about timber or fixings. If you're thinking you can't DIY, give it a go, you might surprise yourself.

Stage One: Temporary 


So I started with a temporary enclosure, to see what different materials might work, and what problems I might encounter.  A bunch of commercial options use 'cat' net, so I thought I would see if I could replicate that.  I purchased some garden netting at the local hardward store, and stapled it to the existing framework, using a couple of cup hooks and a bamboo pole to make a very makeshift (and entirely impractical gate).

Because the cats are used to being enclosed there weren't too many serious attempts to escape the rather loosely installed netting.

The point of the netting was to see how it looked, and whether I would need to attach it permanently. Would the cats even respect it? Try to climb it to get over the top? Bite it, and make holes?

Apparently none of those.  So, for a mere $30+/- I had immediately solved the initial problem of being able to open the front door fully, while keeping the cats 'in'.



Stage 2: Permanent Structure

Having practised with the netting I was ready to create the permanent catio. I purchased some treated timber mouldings, and some fibreglass insect screen material.  Although the netting was not hugely intrusive, the insect screen was a far more aesthetically pleasing material, and actually easier to work with during the build.

Mouldings are thin bits of wood usually used to create a decorative effect.  In my case I was using them to hide the staples, give the mesh an even stretch, and even out the tension from the staples (nailing the moulding to the framing timber gives a second set of attachments for the mesh, spreading the load).

Although the netting was okay, insect screen is almost invisible.   At around $6 per metre, it's very affordable.  If the cats ever do decide to use it as a scratching post and destroy it, I can easily replace with the aluminium version, now that I have worked out what to do.

I picked up a second hand piece of fence topping (finished trellis) for $5, and will use that to hang a gate from. The only decision I haven't made is whether I will run a full height piece of timber at the end of the current handrail or not to finish off the screen at the top.

This is what the finished catio will look like. The mesh on the right of the photo has not been attached permanently yet, so the 'sag' you see will disappear when I stretch it properly with a timber moulding.  I've installed a new shelf, and will add a couple more to give them more height to play on.  Also gives me a nice cup holder if I want to sit out there with them. 


I simply stapled the mesh to the back of this moulding, and then attached it to the wall.  The house boards are far too hard for stapling the mesh to.  The moulding also stops the cats from attempting to lift or move the edge of the mesh.  A final coat of paint will tidy up the look, and hide the nail heads. 


Half round timber mouldings.  I prepainted, and will give a final paint coat to hide nails when I'm done. 

Made a hash of my first bottom panel.  But it was an easy fix to run some extra mesh around the corner from the second one, and re-fix the problem mouldings.  It looks quite smart. Don't be afraid of making mistakes.  I look at the stuff professional builders do, and can see obvious mistakes in most of them! 

I wanted to leave the top of the handrail for the cats to use.. this caused some of the design dilemma. How to fix the mesh to the outside of the bottom rail, but the inside of the top without it looking crap.  Applying the timber moulding makes for a neat finish.
 The test netting was perfect to help me realise it would be fine.
Don't over think, and get paralysed by indecision.  You can always fix things, or redo something you don't like. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cat Containment: The Commercial Options in New Zealand

World's Worst Cat Litter

Keeping cats safe Campaign